Chroma fan noise

I recently received my Chroma and in general it works great. The only complaint is the noise of the fans, they are quite noticeable when you watch with low volume levels. Is there a possibility to run the projector in a ‘silent’ mode?

Otherwise, did someone already upgraded the fans with i.e. Noctua fans? And what type of fans did you use? Because I prefer not to open the projector before ordering the quiet fans. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

2 Likes

Hi @Nicky We appreciate you reporting us about the problem. We will look into it immediately.
The humming should be no louder than 32dB, I have attached a Decibel Chart for your reference.

Kindy report this issue to hello@vava.com and send a short video. Thank you for supporting VAVA.

@TeamVAVA I checked the noice levels with 2 phones. From 1 meter it averages at 34 - 36db, and from 4,5 meters it is 32db (= distance of couch).

Because we use the projector in our living room the sound levels when watching TV are mostly not as high als in a dedicated cinema room. And then you can hear the device in the background.

1 Like

Hi @Nicky We appreciate for sharing your experience with VAVA Chroma. If you need further assistance kindly email our hello@vava.com

Hi there!

I got my unit yesterday, and there is a high-pitch noise on higher light source levels. I’m not sure if it is caused by fans - I doubt it since it is instantly changing when the light source level is changed. I therefore assume it’s a coil whine.

The coil whine is audible on level 5 and gets worse each level. On levels 7-10 it’s too loud for use on silent movies/videos.

I thought the coil whine might go away once the unit is used for a while (coils warmed up) but it doesn’t seem to ease up. Yesterday it was audible from level 6 up, today from level 5 up.

What should I do?

1 Like

Hi @tigerleap We regret to hear that you’re experiencing a high-pitched issue on the VAVA Chroma.
Would you be so kind to try the following steps to see if it solves the issue?

1. Power cycle by unplugging the power cable wait for 5-10mins and plug it back in.
  2. Check for the latest firmware version.
  3. Perform a factory reset 3x

If the issue is still not fixed, kindly take a video of it and send it to hello@vava.com. Thank you!

Hi! I have tried uplugging and the fatory reset cycle (why three times?), and the firmware is the latest (updated yesterday). It didn’t change anything.

The fan noise is quite more louder than on my Epson projector. From the watching area it’s (very unscientifically measured with a mobile phone) 2 dB higher than my traditional back projection Epson, that’s much closer to the seating than the Vava.

But the real problem for me is still the coil whine or such. I couldn’t record it on my mobile phone, I’m away from home for next three weeks and thus can’t yet make better recording. It’s easily (and annoyingly) audible switching between light level 5 and 9 for example.

This probably can’t be fixed in software, so I’m looking for replacing the unit in May or so, but I need to see if the other problems (forced soap opera effect, color tones, harsh contrast, muddy darks, 4k-problems in internal apps, hdmi-recoqnition, remote, …) are fixed. If not, I need to ask for refund and return the product not meeting the marketing specs.

1 Like

Hello, @tigerleap Thank you for notifying us about this issue. We will look into this immediately. The humming should be no louder than 32dB, I have attached a Decibel Chart for your reference. To further assist you with this concern, kindly reach out to our VAVA Chroma team via email at hello@vava.com.

Same problem, any solution for that ?

1 Like

Hi @Yevgen We regret to hear that you’re experiencing a high-pitched issue on the VAVA Chroma.
Would you be so kind to try the following steps to see if it solves the issue?

• Power cycle by unplugging the power cable wait for 5-10mins and plug it back in.
  • Check for the latest firmware version.
  • Perform a factory reset 3x

Where did you purchase the chroma?

Hi @TeamVAVA I bought the projector directly from VAVA Germany in Hamburg. Updated Firmware. Did factory reset once. I WIll try tomorrow 3x times and will unplug it for 5.10 min. I dont think it will change. The higher i turn the VAVA lightness the louder gets the peep sound.

2 Likes

Hi, @Yevgen Could you send us a video via email of the issue with a decibel meter on it? Is there a way for you to clean the air fans? Could be the reason why it’s having a high pitch noise because of the dirt inside the fans. For cleaning the air fans, you may use compressed air pumps to blow off the air, also brush and cloth are ways to clean the projector.

Please note it is not recommended to open the projector.

Let us know if the issue still persists after cleaning the air fans. Thank you!

Hi @TeamVAVA, is there any tutorial or instruction how to clean the air fans?

Hi @Yevgen Unfortunately there’s non all you have to do is to blow it from the outside.

Hi @TeamVAVA the projector was replaced. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Yevgen We’re glad we were able to address all your concerns. Thank you for your precious time.

I just got my Chroma yesterday and I am experiencing exactly the same problem as everyone else. New firmware and factory reset with no improvement. Do we have a fix for this issue yet? I really hope you do or will have one soon! Honestly it’s a total deal breaker for me (the high pitch noise from the fans). Purchased at Best Buy. Thanks.

Hi, @RickRooter Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will look into this. First, we would like to know the order number. Thank you for your support!