Firmware updating problems for 2kDual dash cam

New to dash cams, tried to update my new 2k dual dash cam but puzzled, do I need to unzip the file before I add it to the sd card for the dash cam?

Hi @DeafFLD. Yes, you will need to unzip the file before saving it to the micro SD card.

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact us at support@vava.com. Thank you!

Did not help at all tried 3 times failed to even say updating at all . opened sd card see folder for vava, added the bin file under that , not in vava folder. so not sure what else to do. Advise please

Hi @DeafFLD. Here are the step by step process on how to update the dash cam:

Step 1: Power down the VAVA Dash Cam.

Step 2: Remove the SD Card from the dashcam. Plug the SD Card into a Laptop/Computer. An SD Card reader/SD Card adapter may be needed. The SD Card will come up as a storage device on your Laptop/Computer. Please back up any media files from the SD card you wish to keep.

Step 3: Format SD card to either NTFS or exFAT. Download the firmware file from this website Cam - Dash Cam & Home Cam - VAVA just choose the same dash cam you have…

Step 4: Save the firmware file onto the SD Card. Remove the SD Card from your Laptop/Computer.

Step 5: Plug the SD Card back into the VAVA Dash Cam.

Step 6: Supply power to the dashcam. Both LEDs on the back of the cam will flash rapidly for about 1 minute. Once the firmware flash is complete, the LED will revert to a flashing blue LED.

Step 7: Any settings changed on the dashcam will be reverted to factory settings. Connect to the dashcam via wifi with a mobile device.

Step 8: Open the VAVA Dash App. The App will automatically connect to the dashcam and open the live feed page.

Step 9: Tap on the settings cogwheel icon at the top right of the page.

Step 10: Scroll to the bottom of the menu page and Format the SD Card to complete the firmware update.

Please see the attachment for more information.
Another reference is VAVA Dash Cam - Reflashing The Firmware - YouTube

If you have followed these steps and still did not resolve the issue please send an email to support@vava.com so we can further assist you. Thank you!

This process noted above isn’t working for me, either.
(I have very strong techie abilities, in general.)

Also, the instructions here do NOT specify to unzip the downloaded file.
The video refers to moving the .bin file… but after unzipping the file, there is a folder with a .bin file and also a checksum (md5sum).

I’ve tried multiple times, with the zipped file, with just the .bin, with the unzipped folder.
Each results in the same error message from the VD009 cam.
“Card cannot be read. Card will be formatted in 60 seconds.”

no firmware upgrade results.

Still can’t connect via Wifi to the camera.
(It worked once right out of the box, but not since.)

Hi @intuitive-blue. We would love to help you further on this. Kindly send an email to support@vava.com with the screenshot of your order invoice and a short video of the issue. Thank you!

Thanks.
I found another post about fixing the WiFi issue, which worked… then the app suggested a direct firmware update through the app/WiFi connection. That also worked.

Might be food to update the online support files to describe updating via the app!
(The app did get stuck on the update screen, because the cam disconnected the WiFi during update… but it completed the update successfully.

Thanks!
Kellan

Hi @intuitive-blue. Thank you for the update. We are glad it is now working fine. Let us know if you need further assistance. Regards!

Hello,
I too can not upgrade firmware via sd card. I got the exact same results as you. The app did eventually show an update in firmware and let me upload with the WIFI. I’m curious as to the version of the update you uploaded. The version on the VAVA website is 1.3.0. The app updated to 1.1.0. Thanks, Paul

Hello,
What is the current firmware version for the 2kDual dash cam. The vava.com site list version 1.3.0. I updated through the vava dash app today and the firmware version is 1.1.0. Thanks, Paul

Hi @pkw we are sorry for the trouble this has caused. There are actually 2 types for the dashcam VA-VD002. This is why there are updates v1.1 and v1.3, one version for each. However, there is no difference in its functionality. The only difference is one of them is updated via a micro SD card. Let us know if you need further assistance. Stay well!

For upgrading of firmware of VD009 2k Dual Dashcam
I just followed the instructions

1. I switched off and took out the dashcam.

2. I took out the SD card and copied the updated firmware from the vava.com site for my 2K VD009 dash cam

3. After unzipping it, I copied it to the root folder of the SD card. (there are two files. AmbaH22DUUpgrade.bin and md5sum

4. I put back the SD card in the dashcam

5. I powered up the dashcam by connecting it to laptop USB

6. The cam powered on and started recording but DID NOT update the firmware.

Please suggest me, what am I missing

after several failed attempts, I am not formatting my SD-Card to exFAT(Default)
and will try again.
let’s see what happens now

Hi, @Ehtesham Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Hope this helps you. This is how you re-update the firmware.

You may download it directly from our website:Dual Dash 2K Cam Front And Rear Wifi -VAVA

Flashing the firmware to the Dashcam via SD Card
Step 1: Power down the VAVA Dash Cam.
Step 2: Remove the SD Card from the dashcam. Plug the SD Card into a Laptop/Computer. An SD Card reader/SD Card adapter may be needed. The SD Card will come up as a storage device on your Laptop/Computer. Please back up any media files from the sd card you wish to keep.
Step 3: Save the firmware file onto the SD Card. Remove the SD Card from your Laptop/Computer.
Step 4: Plug the SD Card back into the VAVA Dash Cam.
Step 5: Supply power to the dashcam. Both LEDs on the back of the cam will flash rapidly for about 1 minute. Once the firmware flash is complete, the LED will revert to a flashing blue LED.
Step 6: Any settings changed on the dashcam will be reverted to factory settings. Connect to the dashcam via wifi with a mobile device.
Step 7: Open the VAVA Dash App. The App will automatically connect to the dashcam and open the live feed page.
Step 8: Tap on the settings cogwheel icon at the top right of the page.
Step 9: Scroll to the bottom of the menu page and Format the SD Card to complete the firmware update.

Another reference is VAVA Dash Cam - Reflashing The Firmware - YouTube

September 2022

Any updates for this? Is there a new Firmware link other than what’s available on the website? I’m starting to feel like I got scammed with this product.

I’ve already followed the directions for the SD card. Now my Dashcam won’t even turn on after it’s been charged for hours.

Hi, @ClassyD Thank you for notifying us about this issue. We will look into this. Please send us a short video of the issue at support@vava.com so, we can further assist you!

I also have this problem, if I format the SD card in either NTFS or exFAT as per instruction, then put the contents of the firmware zip file onto the root of the SD card, then put into camera, power on, the camera says it doesn’t recognize the SD format to reformat the card. If I use the existing working SD card from the camera and put the firmware files on the root directory, then try again, the camera doesn’t pick up the firmware files as no message to update firmware comes up on the screen after powering up.

Also, if I use the app and go to the update firmware on there, it says 1.1.0 is the lastest firmware for the 2K camera but the latest downloadable is 1.3.0. I’m confused why the app says 1.1.0 is the updated firmware on the camera???